Sunday 18 September 2011

Ivan Sayers

I didn't end up making it to the the Kira Kira Tokyo Exhibit.Which is unfortunate. Believe you me I wanted to go but I had to go to a family function. Anyways. I did go to Ivan Sayer's show , and it was beyond incredible. Genuinely, it was a smorgasboard for anyone who loves fashion, history, or vintage clothing. The clothing was to die for. Seriously, I thought I loved fashion before tonight, I had no idea. And when I say the clothing was incredible, I am talking an original little black dress from 1928 by Coco Chanel herself, tea dresses from the 18th century, a hand beaded evening gown by Charles Frederick Worth ( known as the father of haute couture), a black feathered hot pants suit designed and autographed by Oscar de la Renta and much more. You name the era and there were clothes from that period. My highlight was, of course, the Chanel original little black dress. I am not stretching the truth when I say I wanted to cry when I saw it. It was gorgeous in it's simplicity. From a distant it looked like a simple long sleeved sheath dress. When I got closer all of the beautiful details came alive. It was beautiful and what was most amazing was the way that that dress could be worn today, as is and it would still look elegant and modern. Chanel's style was so timeless and so innovative when you think of the time period when she began working ( early twentieth century). It was incredible. Ivan Sayers was very charismatic and inspiring. The fact that it was so truly entertaining to listen to him speak without moving for roughly two hours speaks of how charismatic he is. And he found a great deal of his vintage clothing in places like the Salvation Army and Value Village! The man definitely has an incredible eye and I was just mesmerized the entire time. It was my first real fashion event and there was not a second of it that I did not love. It was definitely a rewarding experience and it just made me love fashion even more and the way that it has changed through out time and the way that it has brought people together throughout time.
The picture is not mine by the way. I found it on google.

No comments:

Post a Comment