Monday 5 December 2011

Vintage, vintage, vintage

Yesterday I went to Hycroft Mansion for the Fabulous Collectibles Sale. Ivan Sayers ( amazing historical fashion collector) was there as well. There were incredible items there, one highlight for me was a a little girl's dress from the 1920s being sold for a mere $25.00! If I had a child.... I was tempted to get it despite not having a child! Another interesting item was a velvet, three piece little boy's suit from the 1800's. I bought a cream pearl necklace from the 1960s with a little rhinestone clasp. It looks like a beatle it's adorable.
 I wanted to get a sewing pattern for a dress from the 1940's but it was a few sizes too big for me.. Afterwards my grandma gave  me a few of her vintage things such as the brooches below, and a scarf that belonged to my Nana as well as another scarf that one of my grandma's patients gave her back in the day when she was a nurse and the scarf is a pale green silk with embroidery and is at the very least 80 years old.
These are some crazy brooches! I have an obsession with vintage anything and I think it's great that my grandmother once wore these eccentric pieces (especially the massive pink brooch). P.S I haven't mentioned how fantastic the Ivan Sayers Titanic: A Gala to Remember on October 13th was but it was amazing! The food was delicious. Artichokes, smoked salmon, olives and feta cheese were the appetizers. It was a three course meal with apple fennel salad, and herbed chicken with rice and roast beef with potatoes. Italian pastries were served with coffee for dessert. People were dressed up and wore fantastic vintage clothes. My best friend Marja-Leena came with me and it was a lot of fun! Unfortunately I couldn't take any good pictures because the flash was off on my camera and I was afraid to turn it on while the fashion show was taking place. Here are some pictures from http://gaiapix.smugmug.com/Fashion-by-Ivan-Sayers/Hellenic-Center/Titanic-A-Gala-to-Remember/19590482_n3tJ2h  (None of these photo's are mine).
This is something that a third class woman would have worn on to the Titanic.
Both green dresses, especially the one above, were my favorites. I also loved the lilac evening gown with the brown mink trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment